The energy and mining industries are in a period of dramatic change.
Utilities are adapting to evolving regulations, and are planning new strategies to meet the need for electricity.
State, and potentially federal, renewable energy portfolio standards are forcing
utilities to address their renewable energy sources and options, such as biomass,
wind, solar and hydro. The conversion to renewables will be challenging, as not
all options will work for all utilities and some options are relatively unproven
when deployed in large scale.
See our recent articles on Norbridge's biomass benchmarking survey and the emergence and implications of biomass as a renewable fuel in these leading publications:
Coal and other energy producers face volatile and uncertain demand, both domestically
and internationally. Coal mining companies must navigate the trade-offs
between the changing regulatory environment and the growing global need for energy,
while also evaluating the potential of new clean coal technologies.
Meeting market needs and overcoming challenges in this complex and
changing environment requires a wide range of skills. Norbridge
energy and mining consulting capabilities include:
- Market research and benchmarking
- Strategic planning
- Regulatory strategy
- Fuels management, including fuels sourcing, transport and inventory management
- Process improvement
See our Case Studies and White Papers for selected examples
of our energy consulting and mining consulting work.
Norbridge's staff has conducted many projects for energy
and mining companies. Examples include:
- Biomass conversion planning, including evaluating biomass sourcing
and biomass transportation options
- Process improvement for coal producers at multiple
coal mines, including one of the largest in the U.S.
- Impact on power plant dispatch of potential cap and trade policy alternatives
- Regulatory strategy for a major utility
- Transportation strategies for utilities, coal producers,
and steel producers
- Inventory management and warehouse network redesign
for a regional electric utility
- Parts procurement analysis for a coal producer
All of these projects draw on Norbridge core capabilities – in-depth
analysis, strategy development, and innovation that together create
value for our clients and assist them in making better